Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The role of routine

In today's audio post, I talk about the role of routine in creative and spiritual practice. As you listen to me talk about the role of "good daily hygiene," you might ask yourself what you want or need to do every day to energize your spiritual and/or creative practice.

In my post, I mention my experience living at the Cambridge Zen Center, which offers a daily schedule of meditation practice just outside of Boston. Even if you don't live near a practice center or a vibrant creative community, you can establish your own "community of one" if you train yourself to make your spiritual and creative practice a part of your daily routine.

this is an audio post - click to play

3 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger The Misanthrope said...

I have a strong interest in learning more about all of this, so I enjoy very much listening to your instructions. I am not ready to commit yet, but this is a first step if I decide to. I am delighted you are doing this.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Ah, I have to admire a committed non-committer! :-) Seriously, though, as a *blogger* you already have one sort of daily practice: you probably write more than many wannabe writers! And I bet that if you look back on the things you've learned over the course of your blogging experience, you probably got more out of the experience than you expected.

That's the power of daily practice of *any* kind: it strengthens your muscles without you even knowing it.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Akintoye, thanks for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I'm glad that my words ring true with your experience as a practicing Muslim. I've always been deeply impressed with Islam's emphasis on daily prayer: it's a commitment that many other traditions could learn from!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home