Saturday, May 28, 2005

Seasons of practice

In today's audioblog, I talk about the seasons of meditation practice. Just as Zen monks and nuns follow a seasonal cycle of intensive "tight Dharma" and more relaxed "loose Dharma," we as human creatures will have times when we won't be able to practice as much as we'd like. During "looser" times such as vacations, holidays, and periods spent with visiting friends and family, it's helpful to practice a shortened or minimalized version of our usual daily routine. If traveling monks and nuns can train themselves to meditate during those spare moments spent in planes, trains, and automobiles, surely we can practice our "time outs" on vacation, at family get-togethers, or at other schedule-challenging times.

(Speaking of vacations and holidays, my audioblogging will be light over the next week. I hope everyone has a restful Memorial Day weekend, and I'll check in when and as I can!)

this is an audio post - click to play

3 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just tell you how much I'm enjoying these posts?

Happy summertime to you, too!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger John said...

Hey this is really interesting to hear about how other Zen schools differ from the one I practice (Japanese Dogen Zen, aka Soto).

Thanks for introducing me to another wonderful way to practice the Dharma!!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Thanks for the positive comments: I'm back online after taking a couple weeks off. It's good to know that there's someone out there listening & benefiting from what I have to say.

John, I actually know very little about Japanese-style Zen, so you have a lot to teach me in return! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home